Friday, July 26

It's a Circle Within a Square!

I was very nervous about slippery, stretchy fabric when I got a whole free yard of fabric in the mail the other day. It came with some Jersey Knit fabric I ordered and it seemed like the perfect way to practice in this unexplored territory. I was also encouraged by a great article from Pretty Prudent and had the perfect tutorial in mind, here it is!

Little Girl's Square Cut Circle Skirt

I found a super cute tutorial for a little girls skirt. It reminds me of Tinkerbell and what little girl doesn't like Tinkerbell? I had a skirt similar to this in high school that was black and white stripes and it was one of my favorites.


I have been eying this adorable skirt for quite some time since I found it over at Make it & Love it. You take a square of fabric and cut a circle in the middle a little bigger than the waste it will be fitted to. You then attach the circle you just cut, to one of these adorable and colorful waste bands. And that's it!

Sadly, I do not have said adorable waste bands so, I had to improvise a little to hide my ugly white elastic. 

Also, I wanted a little more coverage so that maybe little Emory could wear this without leggings during the summer.

The Skirt


With all these things in mind I decided to do two squares. One square I turned 90 degrees on top of the other, so that I would end up with 8 points instead of 4.

I also decided I would sandwich my elastic in between the two square layers. One advantage I found with this is that I could leave a tiny opening in between the two layers and cut the elastic a little longer than needed. I went ahead and stitched the elastic so that it will fit now, but when she grows and it needs letting out, I have very easy access to the elastic without cutting into anything.


The Hair Bow




Of course there is a hair bow. I mean what else are you supposed to do with the leftover fabric? It also gave me a chance to look through some of the fabric that my wonderful grandmother gave me. 

There will definitely be pictures posted, of Emory in her new outfits and accessories, as soon as I can get my hands on that baby! (BABY, I can't keep saying that much longer, she is growing up so quick!) So check back soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment